
So I was thinking about what my favorite protein was today and so I found one that I think I like the most, its name is called Carbonic Anhydrase. This protein is found in our blood cells and what it does (if you didnt know already) is regulates our breathing. For example, it turns all of our CO2 into carbonic acid and then when the blood gets to our lungs it does just the reverse, which allows us to expel CO2. Cool huh? Okay, I admit... some of you might not be impressed with this, but that is only one of a few things it can do. The reason WHY it is my favorite is because it plays a large role in maintaining our water content. Thats right, it keeps us hydrated. Why is this important you might ask? Well, without proper water maintenance the pressure behind our eyes rises causing a push on our optic nerve, which we all know as glaucoma. A battle that our family has continued to fight. So you see, without carbonic anhydrase our eyes would be even more messed up.
Friday, January 25, 2008
My favorite protein.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment