Saturday, April 24, 2010

lemon meringue and sound of music

you thought this was going to be about dessert and movies, didn't you? nope.

i've been sewing without patterns. frustrating to get the fit just right, but very liberating to sew up exactly what i had in my head.

first, this is cora's Lemon Meringue dress. i like that i have no unfinished edges and i even pushed myself to do a proper hem using blind hem stitch. cora's favorite part is the pocket! if i made this dress again, i'd go to the effort to make it reversible (it nearly is already) and i'd make the skirt more full. (it's hard to photograph a dress on a moving target.)

now, here's the Sound of Music dress. the green floral reminded me of the drapery fabric that Maria made clothing for the children on the movie, so that's where the name comes from. i really like how the bodice fits perfectly, the straps are angled in the back, and the gathers in the front nicely accommodate that giant toddler belly. i'll be sewing this one up again for sure.

i really enjoy sewing, but sewing for this little girl has brought an added element of pleasure. it's so cute when cora points to one of my sewing experiments and says, "dress dress dress." It pretty much just melts me to see her wearing a finished product. fortunately, she willingly wears whatever i want her to so i am enjoying it while it lasts as i know this opinionated little girl won't let mama dress her forever.

13 comments:

LieslPie said...

megan, sooooo cute. i love both so much but the second on is to die for. i thought those black shoes were too small for her? ...ok, i looked at both of them again and they are both to die for. good job. and super cute saltwater sandals.

Courtney Ekman said...

Wow! I'm so very very impressed!!!

Monica said...

You are so talented! I would love to sew for my little girl but I don't know if I'll ever make time for it...

The Ashment Family said...

Those are so cute Megan! I can't decide which one is my favorite. I am so impressed that you made them without a pattern.

Jana said...

wow! I love both of them. I want to make them for Juliana! Cora is such a doll and her sandles are perfect.

Jessica Duff said...

Very Impressive Megan... well done!

Miller Family said...

Megan you are amazing!! I wish I had your talent, seriously. Although I bet sewing clothes for a boy wouldn't be nearly as much fun. The dress are so cute though. Good work.

Julee said...

Wow Megan...I am really impressed!! I guess sewing your finger on my sewing machine didn't kill your creative abilities. Lucky Cora!!

Unknown said...

i love your skills! i've been avoiding my sewing machine since i finished undergrad minus a short affair i had with it last summer to make curtains for my classroom... i love to see how crafty you are!

Unknown said...

btw - have you tried making your own patterns? you might really enjoy it. it's part of what i learned in undergrad... it's so liberating to create exactly what you want!

Kiersten said...

You are kind of amazing. So cute!

C & E said...

Seriously u are so good! I want you to make some for my little woman. We sure hope that you all are going to be making a trip out here to Utah this summer to see us all.

Sheri said...

very impressive meg - no seriously, you rock!